- President Security Consulting Strategies, LLC, Sandusky, Ohio
2004 – Current
- Division Loss Prevention Specialist, The Sherwin-Williams Company, Malvern, Pennsylvania
2000 – 2004
- Multi-Regional Loss Prevention Manager, Blockbuster Entertainment, Cleveland, Metro-New Jersey, New York City
1999 - 2000
- Loss Prevention Manager, Elder-Beerman Department Store, Sandusky, Ohio
1996 – 1999
- Owner/Operator, Loss Prevention Consultants, Sandusky, Ohio
1994 - 1999
- District Loss Prevention Manager Mervyn's Department Stores, San Diego, California
1992 - 1994
- Director of Loss Prevention Services, ABCO Desert Markets, Phoenix, Arizona
- Investigator/Senior Investigator, ABCO Markets, Phoenix, Arizona
1984 – 1992
- Investigator II / Division Chief, Arizona Department of Racing, Phoenix, Arizona
1980 - 1984
- President, Investigator, Firelands Investigative Services, Inc., Sandusky, Ohio
1976 - 1978
- Investigator II, Ohio Department of Liquor Control, Cleveland, Ohio
1973 - 1975
- Patrol Officer / Shift Supervisor / Detective Sergeant Perkins Police Department, Sandusky, Ohio
1971-1973 & 1975-1977
- Erie County Police Academy (Ohio Certified Police Officer (OPOTA)
- Advanced Criminal Investigations, Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy
- Wicklander & Zulawski Chicago, IL certificate Interview Interrogation Technique
- Wicklander & Zulawski Chicago, IL certificate Advanced Interview Interrogation
- Successful Security Consulting Seminar, Carefree, Arizona
- International Association of Professional Security Consultants (Annual Meeting)
2006 – 2017.
- International Association of Professional Security Consultants (IAPSC)
2006 – 2020
- Certified Security Consultant, International Association of Professional Security Consultants (IAPSC)
2007 – 2019
- Chair, Ethics Committee, International Association of Professional Security Consultants
2008 and 2009
- Chair By-Laws Committee, International Association of Professional Security Consultants
2011 – 2014
- Ad-Hoc Chair and Co-Author, IAPSC Best Practice: Detention of Shoplifting Suspects by Security and Loss Prevention Personnel
The following publications have been authored by Curtis Baillie during the last ten (10) year period:
SecurityInfoWatch Blog – “Security2LP”
IAPSC Holds Texas Conference
How Observant Are You?
More On Product Tampering
Check Your Medicine - Before You Buy It
Crisis Management Operations
Don’t Wait to Spend Gift Cards
NRF Holiday Return Survey 2008
Ready, Set, Go!
Secure Your Holiday Profits – Don’t get taken during the giving season
Loss Prevention Staff Stealing at Nordstroms
Dallas Passes New Convenience Store Security Law
Federal Organized Retail Crime bill introduced
Shoplifting on the Rise - Chickens Do Fly!
Ohio ORC Bill
Where’s the Customer Service?
City of Vallejo, CA on the Brink of Bankruptcy?
GeekWeekly - RFID Tags
So - The Bank Says Your Deposit is Missing?
We Don’t Sell Cigarettes Anymore
Right Brain - Left Brain
Cameras in the Workplace
Police Post Photos of Shoplifting Suspects
ASIS Seeking Public Comment on Pre-employment Background Screening
Hannaford was PCI-Compliant During Data Breach
Data Breach - Hannaford reports data breach involving 4.2 million accounts
Loss Prevention vs. the Merchant
NRF to Shoppers: Be Aware of Health and Beauty Products Found on Auction Websites
The Lighter Side of Shoplifting
Shoplifters - Paying Civil Demand
IACSP Conference - Washington DC
Hiring a Warm Body
CVS on the Hot Seat
Let's Talk Trash
International Association of Professional Security Consultants (IAPSC) 25th Annual Conference
Product Tampering Response
Deciding Ethical Dilemmas - The Three Principles
Proactive vs. Reactive Loss Prevention
Miranda Warnings vs. Retailers
When Retailers Shouldn't "Catch" Shoplifters
Internal Theft and the Small Retail Business Owner
Black Friday - Lessons Learned
The 2008 National Retail Security Survey - Final Report
Reciprocal Membership between the ASC (UK) and IAPSC
1982 Tylenol Product Tampering Murders Revisited
"Flash Mob" Violence
Pending Changes to Rule 26 (Dalbert)
Labor Agency Cracks Down on Employee Misclassification
Retailers Selling Used Underwear?
Reason to Examine Your Bank Statements
Commonsense Census Security
"Flash Mob" Strikes Again in Philadelphia
How litigation shapes retailers' security and loss prevention strategies
Investigating in Facebook and other Parlor Tricks
Deciding Ethical Dilemmas - The Three Principles
Alleged shoplifter dies when CVS employee applies choke hold
IAPSC to conduct Successful Security Consulting seminar
Conflicts of Interest and the Workplace
Starting a Conflict of Interest Program
Counterfeit merchandise flying off the shelves in Philadelphia
IAPSC Reception at ASIS in Dallas
London on Retailers' Online Bid to Fight Shoplifting
My Airport Security Story
Retail Security Research Project
Taco Bell - Thanks for suing us
National Expert Witness Conference
IAPSC Best Practice: Detaining Shoplifting Suspects
Enhanced Law Enforcement Retail Partnership Network to aid in Law Enforcement
Crisis Management - When disaster strikes
New Age Retailer: Don’t get taken during the giving season
Security Technology Executive: How Litigation Shapes Retailers’ Security and LP Strategies
Contributing Author - Retail Crime, Security, and Loss Prevention: an Encyclopedic Reference, Publisher: Butterworth-Heinemann (2008).
Bank Deposits, Recovering Missing Bank Deposits, Ethical Dilemmas and Conflicts of Interest, Grocery Loss Prevention, Product Tampering and Contamination, Retail Extortion.
Contributing Author, Security Consulting 4th Edition. Publisher Buttrworth-Heinemann (2013).
Chapter 6 - Bumps in the Road a New Consultant May Face
Co-Author, Effective Security Management, 7th Ed., Elsevier Publishing, New York, expected publish date, 01/2020.
- Detaining Shoplifting Suspects
- Employee Theft Interviewing Procedures
- Secure Your Holiday Profits – Don’t get taken during the holiday season
- The Six Steps to Apprehension
- Black Friday Sales Events
EXPERT WITNESS CASES
- Testified at Deposition, Plaintiff’s Expert filed report and gave deposition in the matter entitled Burroughs v. Wal-Mart Associates, Inc., et al., Circuit Court for Baltimore City, Maryland, Civil Action No. 24-C-OS-002663. Charles M Kerr, Kerr McDonald, LLP, 31 Light Street, Suite 400 Baltimore, Maryland 21202.
- Plaintiff's Expert, filed report in the matter entitled Carmen Watson, et al v. Forman Mills, Inc., Circuit Court for the County of Wayne, Michigan No. OS-125314. Jody Lipton, Esq., Lipton Law Center P.C., lS930 West Ten Mile Road, Suite 3000, Southfield, Michigan 48075.
- Plaintiff's Expert, filed report in the matter entitled Michael David Porter, Deceased and Linda C. Bell-Porter v. Kang Bak Veng, Ken Koan, Loc V. Ha and John Does 1-25, Circuit Court for Jackson County, Mississippi, Cause No. 20SS-00-556. Robin Roberts Esq., Montague, Pittman and Varnado, 515 Main Street, P.O. Drawer 197, Hattiesburg, Mississippi 39403-1975.
- Defense Expert, filed report in the matter entitled Theodore Granata, Jr., as Executor of the Estate of Concetta Russo Carriero, Deceased, and John L. Carriero, Jonathan Russo and Michael Russo v. The City of White Plains, The City of White Plains Parking Authority, The City White Plains Parking Department of Parking, The County of Westchester, The Mills Corporation, and Sears Holding Corporation, Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of Westchester, Index No. OS30S/07. Mark Rowin, Esq., Lynch Rowin, LLP, 630 Third St., New York, New York 10017.
- Testified at Deposition, Plaintiff's Expert gave deposition and filed report in the matter of Babette Perry and Thomas Perry v. Universal Health Services, Inc., Hampton Behavioral Health Center, a/k/a Hampton Hospital, Superior Court of New Jersey Law Division - Burlington County, No. L-2S23-09. Jamie Duttera, Esq., Console Law Offices, LLC., 1525 Locust St., Philadelphia, PA 19102-3732.
- Testified at Deposition and Trial, Plaintiff's Expert, gave deposition and testified in the matter entitled Joyce Hoover v. FF Acquisition, L.LC., Supervalu, Inc., Supervalu Holdings, Inc., Wesley McCarty, and Lamar Lee, Circuit Court of the City of Hampton, Virginia, No. CLOS-245S. Mike Goodove, Esq., 150 Bousch St., Suite 500, Norfolk, VA 23510. Matter was appealed to Virginia State Supreme Court which refused to hear the appeal.
- Plaintiff’s Consulting Expert, made report in the matter entitled Louise Gerdelmann and Joseph Gerdelmann v. Neiman Marcus Group, Inc., Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, No. 001074. Robert Sota, Jr., Esq. 375 Morris Road Lansdale, Pennsylvania 19446
- Plaintiff's Consulting Expert in the matter entitled Tako Yanakiev v. Kmart Corporation, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, No. llL4754. Alexander Gruzmark, LTD., 1701 East Lake Avenue, Suite 200, Glenview, Illinois 60025
- Plaintiff's Consulting Expert, Davis v. J. C. Penney, Sturbridge, Massachusetts. Mr. Thomas B. Farrey, Esq., Burns & Farrey, 446 Main Street, Worcester, Massachusetts 01608
- Defense Consulting Expert, Dominguex vs. Tacoma Goodwill Industries, Superior Court of the State of Washington, Pierce County, NO: 13-2-12683-0. Sean E.M. Moore, Esq. Floyd, Pflueger & Ringer, 200 W. Thomas St., Suite 500, Seattle Washington 98119-4296
- Defense Consulting and testifying Expert, Betson vs. Rite Aid Corporation, Superior Court of the State of California, Los Angeles, Central District, NO. BC427992. (Open Case). Glen L. Briggs, Esq., Hodel Briggs Winter, LLP, 8105 Irvine Center Drive, Suite 1400, Irvine, CA 92618
- Plaintiff's Consultant and testifying Expert Witness, Jeremy James vs. Apple Inc. and Melanie Kabinoff, Circuit Court of the 17th Judicial Circuit, Broward County, Florida, NO. Case 13-026526 (21) (open case). Todd Falzone, Esq., Kelly/ Uustal, 700 Southeast 3rd Avenue, 3rd Floor, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316.
- Plaintiff’s Consultant and Testifying Witness, Stephanie Farrell and William Farrell vs. Macy’s Retail Holdings and IPC International Corporation, United States District Court for the District of Maryland Baltimore Division. Case No. CA JFM-13-CV-3591. George L. Garrow, Esq., Garrow Law Firm, 300 New Jersey Ave. NW, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20001
- Defense Consultant and Testifying Witness, Hillabold, Brian vs. Sears Roebuck and Co., et al, Circuit Court of Cabell County, WV. Civil Civil Action No. 13-C-967. Moore & Biser, 317 Fifth Avenue, South Charleston, WV 25303.
- Plaintiff’s Consultant and Testifying Witness, Teresa Price vs. Kohl’s Department Stores, Inc., et al, County Court at Law 2, Gregg County, Texas. Cause No. 2015-854-CCL2.
- Plaintiff’s Consultant and Testifying Witness, Daniel Oswley vs. Dollar General, Circuit Court of the 17th Judicial Circuit in and for Broward County Florida. Case No. CACE 13- 233176.
- Defense Consultant and Testifying Witness, multiple plaintiffs v. Fast Stop. In the Circuit County of Jackson County, Missouri at Kansas City, Missouri. Case No. 1616-CV25549.
- Plaintiff’s Consultant and Testifying Witness, Robert Plata v. H.E.B. Grocery Company L.P. and Universal Protection Service L.P. in the District Court , 285th Judicial District of Bexar County, Texas. Cause No. 2018-CI-03202.
- Defense Case Review Consultant, Pamela E. Boveda Carrizo v. Wal-Mart Stores East, LP in the District Court of the 17th Judicial Circuit in and for Broward County, Florida. Case No. CASE-17-023138.
CV last updated: 01/07/2020
Curtis Baillie - Consultant
403 Indiana Avenue
Sandusky, Ohio 44870
Phone (484) 368-1040
My Curriculum Vitae is presented as documentation of my background and experience, and a review does not constitute an agreement of services.
THIS SPACE LEFT BLANK